Saturday, September 30, 2006

Dreary Weekends and a CONTEST!

Hello Everyone! It is Saturday and it is still raining! We saw a rainbow last weekend, so I knot that the flood is not coming - but I am sure it has been raining for almost 40 days! It has been cool and damp - good weather to have a fire in the fireplace (if you have one) and get your knit on!
I have been working on my scarf for my scarf pal - it is gaining in length s-l-o-w-l-y but surely. I love the yarn I chose - Alpaca with a Twist Baby Alpaca. This yarn is a dream to knit with. I am seeing some socks in my future using this yarn!
Socks seem to be the theme for fall - from Socktoberfest to Hot Socks the blog world is filled with sock themes. I have read about sock knitter casualties from Sock Wars to Toasty Toe Knitters working on their socks for their pals. If this does not get your fingers itching to cast on some socks - I don't know what will!! I am teaching another sock class in October as well - I love new sock knitters!
I did some "Stash Enhancement" yesterday - I tried so hard to resist, but I found a skein of Schaefer Andrea yarn (100% silk) in the Indira Gandhi colorway. Before I knew it I was shelling out some money and driving away with this treasure. There are 1093 yards of this beautiful silk - I am going to look for a lace pattern to knit this up into. I will welcome any and all suggestions for patterns. I think I can even have a contest around this - the winning suggestion will get a skein of Shaefer Anne for a pair of socks! Leave your posts as to your suggestions - I am excited to see what your ideas are!
Have a good weekend everyone - stay warm and dry!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's see...can you manage to get a copy of that incredible Lorna's Laces pi shawl????? I STILL think about that thing.

Sheila's shawls said...

I too am imagining a shawl but from the Stahman Faroese shawl book. Many lace patterns in there. The other option would be fingerless gloves. The Not just Socks book has some really pretty patterns in it.
Blessings,
Renee

Sheila's shawls said...

I too am imagining a shawl but from the Stahman Faroese shawl book. Many lace patterns in there. The other option would be fingerless gloves. The Not just Socks book has some really pretty patterns in it.
Blessings,
Renee

Lisa said...

The Diamond Fantasy Shawl is a good one. I too am a beginner lace knitter and I am loving this pattern (and I'm up to 17 repeats so I've been working on it for a while). I also picked up Lace Leaf (a Fiber Trends pattern) which looks like a good one. Forest Canopy Shawl is a great beginner pattern (sold on the blog called "I'm Knitting as Fast as I Can"). It calls for a heavier weight yarn, but could be done with any weight and you'd just do more repeats.